Monday, November 1, 2010




  This recipe is a little closer to my heart
than the others I have created. I grew up
in St. Louis, where my grandfather was a
baker (before I came along, I never had
the chance to meet him). My Dad, Arville,
used to tell me that when he was a little
boy, his Dad, Grandpa Taylor, would 
bring home the fallen butter cakes (the
ones that wouldn't rise, or dropped in the
oven) from the bakery because they 
couldn't sell them. My Dad always 
remembered how yummy they were, and
they even talked one day about how they
should sell them. Well, somewhere along
the way, SOMEONE in St. Louis started
selling them and named them Gooey
Butter Cakes. Most of the bakeries in
St. Louis serve it now, but as far as I 
know, St. Louis is one of the only cities
that sell it. This is probably not close to
the original recipe, but a shortened,
quicker version updated over the years.
I get a little twinkle in my eye and a
flutter in my belly thinking my own 
Grandpa may have SOMETHING to 
do with the original 
GOOEY BUTTER CAKE...
wish I could
have met him!



No comments: